Michael w Scorpions 79

Use this forum to discuss specific rock guitar players, their music, their gear, etc.
Bent out of shape

Michael w Scorpions 79

Must listen to this later.....

Haffner

Re: Michael w Scorpions 79

MIchael in all his cracked wah glory!

Boy, I'd pull out my wallet for a really good soundboard recording of this era.
Dinosaur David B

An interesting glimpse at what might have been. Very cool. 

That said, other than Rudi fucking over his brother, I'm happy with the way things played out.

In the grand scheme of things, I think having a Jabs-era Scorps and MSG beats what I'm hearing here. 
It's not a restring until I'm bleeding.
Haffner

Dinosaur wrote: An interesting glimpse at what might have been. Very cool. 

That said, other than Rudi fucking over his brother, I'm happy with the way things played out.

In the grand scheme of things, I think having a Jabs-era Scorps and MSG beats what I'm hearing here. 

I can't imagine going without the first three MSG studio albums, not to mention Cozy Powell on Live Budokhan. They are four of the most guitar-inspiring albums I've ever owned, and I love the songs.

Duojett71

That’s a stretch…unless you believe the words of a lunatic. Rudi, gave his brother a high profile gig and then in pure UFO fashion he ghosted them right before a show. Several years later, Rudi financed studio sessions and pre production for the McAuley/Schenker Group. So Michael is still sour for not getting a writing credit on “Coast To Coast”? ….a song Rudi claims was his own composition. That’s a toss up as the song sounds like both of them. Sounds to me like Michael fucked himself…wasn’t the first time and wouldn’t be the last.

it all worked out for the best…because we got those killer albums with Matthias, and a great catalog of MSG albums….so I agree with you on that. Michael is one of my all time favorite players and musicians. I wish he would have been more consistent in his musical career…especially after the McAuley/Schenker Group.

Dinosaur David B

Duojett71 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:58 am

That’s a stretch…unless you believe the words of a lunatic. Rudi, gave his brother a high profile gig and then in pure UFO fashion he ghosted them right before a show. Several years later, Rudi financed studio sessions and pre production for the McAuley/Schenker Group. So Michael is still sour for not getting a writing credit on “Coast To Coast”? 

Guy who posted the bootleg says this in the video description:

What is really disturbing about the Lovedrive era is that Schenker never got properly credited for what he actually played on the album. The credits would credit him for three songs, but he played on almost the entire album, leads as well as rhythm. He was never credited for playing lead on ‘loving you Sunday morning’, writing 'Holiday' or 'Coast to coast', two of the most popular scorpions songs that were played in every concert for thirty years. He was contracted as a sixth member of the band for love drive and they didn’t even put him in the band photo. Instead you see Jabs’ face there and he was a MINOR member of the band who played practically nothing on it.

This is a sad misrepresentation of history that needs to be amended. Making things even worse, the release of the Scorpions 50 years box set leaves Michael Schenker completely out of the credits on the 'Lovedrive' album. Schenker was quite upset to find himself erased from the band's history, and is not too happy with his brother, Rudolf.

Matthias Jabs was in the band photo for the Lovedrive album and that is wholly inaccurate. His contributions were minimal on that album and he was deemed 'not ready'. (He did play on the latter part of the tour from April '79) Michael Schenker should be credited properly not only on the 'Lovedrive' album, which was their BEST post Uli Roth album, and possibly best overall, but for helping break the Scorpions in America.

There's no argument here that Michael is nuts, but if that story is correct, he was also screwed. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

merlo_zeppelin

Was Love Drive really that successful? 
Dinosaur David B

merlo_zeppelin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:43 am Was Love Drive really that successful? 

Not like they became later. I think their breakout single was The Zoo on Animal Magnetism, but they really really didn't break until Blackout

And FWIW, great as it is, I don't agree at all that Lovedrive is their best post-Uli album. 

eduardoritos

I like Michael over Uli anytime, but also, Mathias is great and, I think that in the band works, Mathias fits better than Michael.
Duojett71

Dinosaur wrote:
Duojett71 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:58 am

That’s a stretch…unless you believe the words of a lunatic. Rudi, gave his brother a high profile gig and then in pure UFO fashion he ghosted them right before a show. Several years later, Rudi financed studio sessions and pre production for the McAuley/Schenker Group. So Michael is still sour for not getting a writing credit on “Coast To Coast”? 

Guy who posted the bootleg says this in the video description:

What is really disturbing about the Lovedrive era is that Schenker never got properly credited for what he actually played on the album. The credits would credit him for three songs, but he played on almost the entire album, leads as well as rhythm. He was never credited for playing lead on ‘loving you Sunday morning’, writing 'Holiday' or 'Coast to coast', two of the most popular scorpions songs that were played in every concert for thirty years. He was contracted as a sixth member of the band for love drive and they didn’t even put him in the band photo. Instead you see Jabs’ face there and he was a MINOR member of the band who played practically nothing on it.

This is a sad misrepresentation of history that needs to be amended. Making things even worse, the release of the Scorpions 50 years box set leaves Michael Schenker completely out of the credits on the 'Lovedrive' album. Schenker was quite upset to find himself erased from the band's history, and is not too happy with his brother, Rudolf.

Matthias Jabs was in the band photo for the Lovedrive album and that is wholly inaccurate. His contributions were minimal on that album and he was deemed 'not ready'. (He did play on the latter part of the tour from April '79) Michael Schenker should be credited properly not only on the 'Lovedrive' album, which was their BEST post Uli Roth album, and possibly best overall, but for helping break the Scorpions in America.

There's no argument here that Michael is nuts, but if that story is correct, he was also screwed. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

While some of that may be true….this guy is just regurgitating what Michael has been saying in interviews. Not really any new information. As far as who was pictured on the album cover, it was Jabs because he finished the album and was an official member when it was released. Jabs wasn’t let go until the start of the tour, which is when Michael returned briefly before taking off. So all of that makes sense. Again, I don’t see how Michael was screwed other than by himself.  :confusion-shrug: