Iommi sound in a pedal

A forum for discussing guitar effects.
cvansickle

Iommi sound in a pedal

Duojett71 said:

Stitsel said:

I have one of these DDave.....it sounds pretty good, but you have to really dial it in to get it to sound right...

[/quote]
Catalinbread makes some great stuff. I have their RAH Overdrive...which is the Jimmy Page pedal and I have the Naga Viper, which is their treble booster. That Sabbra Cadabra, as you already know, is the treble booster with the Iommi overdrive in one pedal. I have heard great things about it. The Naga Viper is great but like any treble booster it gets noisy and in my rehearsal room, it amplifies a lot of radio frequencies when combined with a lot of gain.

[/quote]
I tried that Sabbra Cadabra pedal last year, and I was completely disappointed. I thought it had way too much low end and it was noisy. Just goes to show you can't depend on YouTube videos all the time. I do enjoy the Catalinbread DLS and Naga Viper pedals though, and I don't find them noisy at all.
Dinosaur David B

Iommi sound in a pedal

MAdX said:

Bit off topic maybe, but this might actually be the secret ingredient in nailing the tone on those records:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozz9wwc ... anSegeborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-RQGhw ... anSegeborn

[/quote]
I always thought the old Laney cabs had Fanes in them, but yeah, they seem to have had those Goodmans.

MAdX said:

I bought a pair off Reverb and I'm currently running them stereo with a greenback cab. Sound is MASSIVE. They seem to be giving definition and filling in all those frequencies that the greenbacks are lacking.

[/quote]
I have to watch that video, but read that they are more pronounced in the mids than a Celestion. If that's true, you're getting a similar effect (at the speaker-level) as running a Marshall with an Orange/Bogner -- the best of both worlds.

As for the pedal, I have yet to try it in front of the amp, but will be trying that over the next couple of weeks. If I get something I like, I'll post a clip.
Every cord/cable is a cunt.
Stitsel

Iommi sound in a pedal

The Sabbra Cadabra is a finicky pedal, but with patience & time, it can be dialed in to sound pretty killer. I know, sometimes we all just want plug & play simplicity....but nailing these old classic tones isn't always as easy as you would think.Anyhow, out of my stable of amps, I'd only really use it in front of my JMP......in the clean channel is fine, but the higher gain dirty channel is where it really can sound good, with some tweaking. First, I back the gain on the amp off a bit....keep treble & mid at about 11 o'clock & bass about 12-12:30 o'clock, then Presence at about 1-2 o'clock.... then I adjust the pedal to my ear....what am I going for.....Vol. 4 ( Tomorrow's Dream/Snowblind ) or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath ( title track/A National Acrobat/Killing Yourself To Live/Sabbra Cadabra/Spiral Architect etc. ) or even into Sabotage territory ....it's actually really all there, but the adjustments on the pedal are super sensitive. I've found the Range knob to really be the secret in dialing in this pedal's overall tone.....anyways, it's a keeper. I'm not one of these obsessives that need to dial in someone's exact tones, so I can copy them perfectly; I could truly care less about that. What I do like to do, however, is take a baseline cool tone & utilize it for my own thing....why can't I cop a killer heavy Iommi tone, but do my own thing, ya know? That's my trip, when I mess around with stuff like this.