Dinosaur Rock Guitar Forum
October 20, 2014, 08:30:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul Chapman: Forgotten UFO Guitarist  (Read 3162 times)
Isaac
Tyrannosaurus

on: October 01, 2009, 11:39:51 PM

i'm lovin his stuff. sure, its not better than schenker IMO, but hes miles ahead of other blues rock guys, and has a schenker-esque flavour in his playing. chapman has a fantastic melodic sense too, and is very tastful IMO. i've been jamming to professions of violence for a  REALLY long time now.

what do you guys think of him? IMHO no one can fill schenker's shoes, but chapman did a fine job, and i really enjoy listening to his playing, and it only made UFO's suberb songwriting than much better.

Agrippa
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:20:23 AM

The UFO records I like the best are all with PC on guitar.

As you say, no one can fill Schenkers shoes, but the song writing is just BETTER on No place to run, The Wild The Willing And The Innocent and especially on Mechanix and to a lesser degree Making Contact, which does have my favorite "Tonka" (PC) solo: Diesel in the dust.
Sancho
Jr. Admin
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:56:50 AM

I totally agree wiht Agrippa. Songwise, my favourite UFO albums are the Chapman ones, with No Heavy Petting thrown in for good measure.
No, Chapman didn't match Schenker, but who did back then?? I find he has a distinguishable style and a great melodic sense. I'll take him over Vinnie Moore in UFO any day of the week. and I like VM in UFO...

Coming back to the albums, I think a major contributing factor towards the change in the songwriting was Neil Carter. He does some super cool backing vocals too; Wild Willing & Innocent is a prime example.

You guys need to check out the recently reissued Headstone CD, an 11 track live album from the Chapman era. Blistering performance!
Or you could go the whole hog and get the Official Bootleg Box, which has six CDs chockful of excellent live tracks from both Schenker and Chapman.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred.
Seven Moons
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:16:31 AM

No, Chapman didn't match Schenker, but who did back then?? I find he has a distinguishable style and a great melodic sense. I'll take him over Vinnie Moore in UFO any day of the week. and I like VM in UFO...

My thoughts exactly. 

Isaac, you mention "Profession of Violence", it's an awesome song, one of my favorites ballads ever.

Metropolis, the worlds collide,
Ain't nobody on the other side,
I don't care, I'm not there.
Old School
Raptor

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 10:09:58 AM

I'll take him over Vinnie Moore in UFO any day of the week. and I like VM in UFO...

Add me to the list.  thumbs up
59LemonDrop
Raptor

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:23:04 AM

Chapman rocks, I've seen him a couple of times with UFO and prefer him live metal

No intentions to hijack this but I came across "Profession of Violence" with VM this afternoon and he holds his own mighty fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39wxjj5clc
Breakfastime
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:47:04 AM

Great player for sure.  He just had the unfortunate situation of replacing Schenker.

I mean, no matter how good a player is...if he comes in on the heels of somebody like MS...

First time I saw Chapman, it was a surprise.  A surprise because i was expecting to see Michael Schenker playing with UFO. 
Back in those pre-internet days, there was no instant updates on what was happening in rock music.  If something happened with a band,
it might be months before the rock press would print the news (due to the lag time of publishing, not due to laziness or anything)

If it was something major like a plane crash killing the whole band or something, sure the radio stations would carry the news.
But a guitar player walking off a tour?  Nobody knew until the tour rolled into town...

Chapman was/is a great player for sure, he just had some giant shoes to fill.

Duct tape...it's the new 'Tone wood"!
Isaac
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:28:12 PM

i was listening to no place to run today, and i thought that the SONGS as a whole were a bit stronger than the schenker stuff. maybe because moog's songwriting had matured? the songs were still really melodic and catchy, but the lyrics were stronger, and the whole product was more sophisticated IMO.
maybeyes
Tyrannosaurus

Going Going Gone

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 09:24:45 PM

Paul Chapmqan was a  good thing for UFO after Schenker.  The band wrote very strong stuff with him.  I love the Schenker stuff, but songwise spend more time listening to the Chapman stuff.  Not sure if it was his influence or part of the maturation of the band's writing process. 

Falsehood has an infinity of combinations, but truth has only one mode of being. - Jean Jacques Rousseau
Shakey64

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 06:42:10 AM

Another fan here.  Some of my favorite UFO albums are with Paul. Mechanix/The wild the willing/ and NO Place To Run.  The track LETTING GO is one of my all time openers on a UFO album.  Here is a true story. I was stationed in Germany 1993, and all over the town I saw UFO posters for a Dec.show. THe band members were listed (mogg/way/parker/raymond.....and had Paul Chapman!!  I was pretty stoked. About a week prior to the show...all the posters had a Michael Schenker sticker over Pauls name. I was actually more stoked being a huge Schenker fan. This was the FIRST Reunion gig. I met Andy Parker after the show and asked him about Chapman and the poster....and he just smiled and laughed.
  I still have the poster.  I emailed his website years ago. His webmaster asked for a pic of the poster. He said something to the effect that Paul was in the wings....in case Herr Schenker didnt do the re-union. I can believe that.
  The latests Ive heard of Paul is that he is playing guitar with former MOLLY HATCHET band members in a project called GATOR COUNTRY. You can see some clips on YouTube.
Duojett71
Allosaurus
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 02:01:17 AM

I love Chapman in UFO. I love 'No Place To Run' and 'Mechanix'. I think he is a really good guitar player....maybe not as distinguishable as Schenker, but still exceptional in his own right.

"..But as I retreated to the kitchen to get some ice out of the freezer and applied it to my swollen jaw, I had to wonder:Who the hell punches a fifteen-year old? And...What the fuck does he have against Judas Priest? "-Dave Mustaine
Breakfastime
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:27:41 AM

. About a week prior to the show...all the posters had a Michael Schenker sticker over Pauls name.

Somewhat off topic, but...different band, similar situation:

About 1985, I remember a poster for the Los Angeles band X after Billy Zoom split, and they had a handful of West Coast dates scheduled.  Dave Alvin (Blasters) came in to sub.  The poster was a live shot of X, with Alvin's head cut and pasted rather noticably on Billy's body.  Let's just say that Dave's rotund bald head did not fit too well on Billy's skinny frame...hilarious results.

Duct tape...it's the new 'Tone wood"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: