Dinosaur Rock Guitar Forum
October 31, 2014, 03:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Fogerty's solo - I heard it through the grapevine  (Read 1206 times)
Blackers15

on: December 25, 2011, 05:05:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93S_l0qZrXA

Seriously, many people see him only as a master singer-songwriter, but the man never gets credits for his guitar playing,I KNOW he isnt Dino (with some exceptions)  , he isnt even close to those 80's guitar wizards, as his style is more 60's/70's rock playing, but really, i can easily sing most of  his solos off my head, they are simple yet so catchy, I doubt Ill be able to hum a malmsteen or lynch solo with such ease, an that makes him a great example of less is more.

Dont get me wrong, I love Van Halen, Norum, Malmsteen, Sykes, etc; but when I sometimes listen to Gilmour's the wall or comfortably numb solo, Jimmy Page's Starway to heaven solo, Blackmore's When a blind man cries solo and in this case a Fogerty solo, its a different world, us Dino guys could really get a lot out of this stuff, the singable solos are the ones we should strive for, rhytmic hooks, vibrato, spaces, simple phrases that connect into longer, memorable solos.

Just my humble opinion.

Vandenberg
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 06:28:20 PM

its what tends to be called the work of a genius, and I couldn't agree more.

Can't talk little man? betcha can't play none either :)
M11
Raptor

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:10:33 PM

I went to one of his concerts a couple of months ago, and during one of the jams he turned up the distortion and I swear to God the guy actually shred, even playing some EVH style tapping licks. Not the CCR I was used to. metal

New music available at:
Blackers15

Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 07:18:50 PM

I went to one of his concerts a couple of months ago, and during one of the jams he turned up the distortion and I swear to God the guy actually shred, even playing some EVH style tapping licks. Not the CCR I was used to. metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MII7JiHUKZM
You may be talking about that solo spot, sure, he can also do that, he is one of those guys that always get better.
guitarrednfeathered
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:28:35 AM

He is always on the top of my Love list.  And I've also seen him live recently (actually two years ago now) and I agree with the comments regarding his Dino ability.  He can go there when he wants.  CCR has been a life long favorite of  mine and JF's playing is something I look forward to along with his lyrics, and voice.

He has a son who is interested in playing music and seems to be heavily into Dino so maybe one day we'll be talking about him on the forum.

Somewhere here, there is a Concert Review of the show I saw when his son was his opening act.  I tried to search it up and post the link but for some reason I can't find it.

"It takes a whole lot of medicine for me Darling, to pretend I'm somebody else."-Beth Hart
Blackers15

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:05:15 AM

BTW, even if he can play dino, he doesnt need that, his ability lies in the fact that his solos are simple and memorable, as in "I put a spell on you", that solo is one of the best Ive ever heard.
Breakfastime
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 12:37:54 PM

Not only is the guy a great songwriter, singer, and wicked guitarist, but on many of the CCR hits all you hear is him.  

Yep, multi-instrumentalist too.

He's also extremely patient with his craft...I remember an interview regarding the album 'Blue Moon Swamp' which took a decade to release...the interviewer asked him ''what toook you so long?'' and his response was along the lines of, "well, the album was done a couple of years ago...but I spent 8 years deciding if I liked the slide guitar on the title cut"
 not worthy

Duct tape...it's the new 'Tone wood"!
RoadRacerX
Raptor

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 03:59:50 PM

I know he can play, but for the life of me, his soloing in "Susie-Q" makes me want to puke.  puke

"C'mon man, this isn't rocket surgery."

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and terrified like all his passengers."
Blackers15

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:26:51 PM

I know he can play, but for the life of me, his soloing in "Susie-Q" makes me want to puke.  puke
Well, that solo is a particular case, because although I really like it, in certain parts his vibrato sounds a little uncomfortable to my ears, but still it has other parts where he creates some nice rhythmic hooks.
guitarrednfeathered
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:07 PM

Not only is the guy a great songwriter, singer, and wicked guitarist, but on many of the CCR hits all you hear is him.  

Yep, multi-instrumentalist too.

He's also extremely patient with his craft...I remember an interview regarding the album 'Blue Moon Swamp' which took a decade to release...the interviewer asked him ''what toook you so long?'' and his response was along the lines of, "well, the album was done a couple of years ago...but I spent 8 years deciding if I liked the slide guitar on the title cut"
 not worthy

Cool!  I didn't know any of that.  He's just one of those guys who gets cooler the more you find out. 

"It takes a whole lot of medicine for me Darling, to pretend I'm somebody else."-Beth Hart
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: