Dinosaur Rock Guitar Forum
November 01, 2014, 06:49:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Holmes/WASP  (Read 8311 times)
Jay G
-
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 05:02:31 AM

I can't think of him without thinking of him being clocked on stage by a frozen ham. Or whatever it was.   chuckle

What is this? I haven't seen that.

Back in the early days WASP would throw raw meat into the crowd.  IIRC and according to lore some jokester decided to thrown meat back and somehow snuck in a large rump roast and clocked Holmes with it.  BTW, saw them a couple of times.  Saw them on the Animal tour with Metallica and Armored Saint around 83.  Also saw them again open for Sabbath on that tour with Glenn Hughes/Ray Gillen.  Both times they were OK.  I think I enjoy their music more now than back then.  My boy thinks they are great.  He started getting into them from the Blind in Texas video of VH1.

My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama - FZ
Johnny

Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:21 AM

Everybody talks about their first album, which is great. But as a hole package their best album was probably Headless Children, which I read that Holmes himself rates his playing on it his best. And I agree that it was his peak.

Also, try not to like this guy:

chuckle chuckle chuckle
Vandenberg
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 07:06:07 AM

Wasp, great band really liked them, the shock and gore rock n roll and fucking like a beast and explosives and chainsaw cod peices, many there were a riot back in the day, a funny but clever band, Chris Holmes was a good guitar player I always thought, knew what he was about. had a few nice moves in him and played some great metal. L O V E  all is need is my love machine (quality). Not a bad band live to when I saw them.

Can't talk little man? betcha can't play none either :)
guitarrednfeathered
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 10:21:51 AM

Love him!  Was a huge  WASP fan and swore I'd marry Blackie Lawless one day..... Pshew! Thank goddess that didn't pan out!  chuckle  I always felt- like a few of you apparently- that he didn't get the recognition that he deserved.  Blind In Texas STILL makes an appearance on my workout roster of songs.

"It takes a whole lot of medicine for me Darling, to pretend I'm somebody else."-Beth Hart
Gunner4Life
-
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 08:02:56 PM

I just rediscovered WASP, went on You Tube and saw a link to a video of them, I brought me back, I thought it was such a shame that they got lumped in with bands like Motley Crue. I didn't think so many people here liked them.

Animal, Love Machine, I Wanna Be Somebody, and Wild Child are just awesome.
maybeyes
Tyrannosaurus

Going Going Gone

Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 10:04:13 PM

I remember Headless Children being the strongest of the albums I heard.   Thought the first 3 were pretty good and the live one was good too.  Chris was underrated.  Not necessarily well known, but those solos worked perfect for the songs

Falsehood has an infinity of combinations, but truth has only one mode of being. - Jean Jacques Rousseau
gqn_angel
Allosaurus

"You're nobody unless you're difficult" - RB

Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 10:21:28 AM

Definitely agree that the sum was greater than the parts (although Chris Holmes definitely holds his own and I do enjoy his playing).  The first four albums are very good (especially Headless Children), but most people do not know that some of WASP's (or Blackie's rather) output in the 90's were high quality stuff as well.  Crimson Idol and Still Not Black Enough (albeit one of the shittiest produced albums I've ever heard) are every bit as good as the "classic" stuff...although neither of these feature Holmes (Bob Kulick's generic lead playing instead) and stylistically have more socially conscious subject matters (eschewing past "fun" such as Fuck Like A Beast or L.O.V.E. Machine).  "Still Holding On" probably is one of the most beautiful ballads hardly anyone's ever heard of (except for probably me and Sancho drinkin).
maybeyes
Tyrannosaurus

Going Going Gone

Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 10:54:33 AM

I forgot about the Crimson Idol.  That was very good.  I really enjoyed that one.  Guess I will need to dig it out to listen to again.

Falsehood has an infinity of combinations, but truth has only one mode of being. - Jean Jacques Rousseau
Sancho
Jr. Admin
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:21 AM

Still Not Black Enough (albeit one of the shittiest produced albums I've ever heard)
That one sounds so bad, I sold it... Eventhough I think there are several killer tracks on the album, the production is so horrible I can't stand listening to it.

WASP's last album, Babylon, comes highly recommended if you like their first four albums.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred.
Johnny

Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:31 AM

"Still Not Black Enough" was the first W.A.S.P. album I got and thus it's a special album for me. "Crimson Idol" on the other hand doesn't do that much. It just cycles old ideas around with new lyrics. Now if I had heard it before "Still..." then maybe I'd be thinking differently. Maybe. Overall I've followed W.A.S.P. releases faithfully up to "Dying for the World". Past that no interest, nothing new there.
Duojett71
Allosaurus
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:40:41 PM

I never really thought WASP was a very good band. When I was in high school I didn't really show them much interest and thought Blackie Lawless was sort of a tool. I remember picking up a copy of 'Headless Children' in High School and liking that one ok. Had some good songs. I have been listening to the Boneyard on XM for over
5 years now and they play a good amount of WASP....mostly from the first few albums and I will have to say that I still really don't think they are a very good band.
Blackie's voice is pretty annoying, the guitar tones are shit, the songs are fairly lame, and really kind of uninteresting. Holmes was a decent guitar player....probably the
best part of the band....which really isn't saying much. There is something about Blackie Lawless that comes across as contrived and not very genuine to me.

"..But as I retreated to the kitchen to get some ice out of the freezer and applied it to my swollen jaw, I had to wonder:Who the hell punches a fifteen-year old? And...What the fuck does he have against Judas Priest? "-Dave Mustaine
Sancho
Jr. Admin
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 10:47:47 AM

There is something about Blackie Lawless that comes across as contrived and not very genuine to me.
You definitely have a point here. Lawless has switched the band from shockrock, to politically conscious, to shockrock, to metal opera, to industrial and back to shockrock.
It never interfered with my enjoyment of the band though. I just ignore the albums that don't rock wink

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred.
RoadRacerX
Raptor

Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 01:29:53 AM

for me its the pool interview in Decline of Western Civilization Part II  The Metal Years. 

Oh hell yeah!  That drunken mess still is one of the funniest metal moments of the eighties. But I hear "Wild Child" by WASP on Sirius' Boneyard a lot recently, and that is an ass kicking song to me.

"C'mon man, this isn't rocket surgery."

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and terrified like all his passengers."
Flying V
Raptor

Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:42 PM

I always loved this band right from the first album. The one thing that I didn't like was what happened to the guitar sounds as they released more records. Once Blackie switched to guitar(even though he played guitar on both of the first albums) the bass guitar vanished and around the time of Still not Black Enough the guitar sound really went to shit. I love that album but the sound does really suck balls!

" I don't have an attitude problem, but my guitar does!"
MovingWaves
Raptor

Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 10:23:22 PM

for me its the pool interview in Decline of Western Civilization Part II  The Metal Years. 

Oh hell yeah!  That drunken mess still is one of the funniest metal moments of the eighties.

Really? I thought it was sad and pathetic and I just felt sorry for him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: