Dinosaur Rock Guitar Forum
October 20, 2014, 12:20:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: -Adrian Vandenberg early equipment-  (Read 2090 times)
PowerMetal
Tyrannosaurus

on: September 24, 2010, 10:34:00 PM

Pretty straight forward, but do you think his Marshall's were modded in any way? Did he boost them maybe? What a great a sound  guitar

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.
EP3383
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 02:22:32 AM

I wouldn't say he's using any souped up Marshalls.  His tone doesn't have a ton of gain to it and is very much in the range of normal Les Paul to Marshall tones.  His tone is too bright and cutting to be a plexi or metalface early 70's Marshall.  If I were to guess, I'd say you could probably nail his live tone with a 70's or 80's master volume Marshall (2203 or 2204) and add some chorus and you're there.  For the first album tone, he's got a cocked wah EQ going on.  I much prefer his live tone, I think it's the perfect example of how to add a little bit of chorus to make your guitar tone huge.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.
PowerMetal
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:23:26 AM

Hey Thanks bro. I've been craving this tone for awhile now, gotta get a vintage marshall! Unfortunately i'll be waiting until next year. Until then i'll just tweak my JSX to be really trebly and crunch with an eq, and crank the sucker to let the EL34's shine.

thumbs up

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.
whoopass1
Raptor
Allosaurus

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:11:39 AM

I remember reading an interview with him back in the day where he did say his Marshalls were modded. I'm not sure what he did to them, but on that first album it sounds like he's going for a Schenker tone. Later on, with Whitesnake, he did endorse the Peavey VTM's which are basically souped up JCM 800's. You can get quite a bit of variety out of them just by messing with the front panel dip switches. But yeah, he did admit to having his Marshalls modded early on.

EP3383
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:33:54 AM

I remember reading an interview with him back in the day where he did say his Marshalls were modded. I'm not sure what he did to them, but on that first album it sounds like he's going for a Schenker tone. Later on, with Whitesnake, he did endorse the Peavey VTM's which are basically souped up JCM 800's. You can get quite a bit of variety out of them just by messing with the front panel dip switches. But yeah, he did admit to having his Marshalls modded early on.

The funny thing is, it doesn't sound like it.  He wasn't really a high gain player in Vandenberg, so maybe he just had his amps EQ-eq differently.  That or maybe he's got a Le Tekro type of mod where he's actually getting less gain from the amp.

Hey Thanks bro. I've been craving this tone for awhile now, gotta get a vintage marshall! Unfortunately i'll be waiting until next year. Until then i'll just tweak my JSX to be really trebly and crunch with an eq, and crank the sucker to let the EL34's shine.

thumbs up

Good plan.  I've played through JSX's and I think you can get very close.

Some of the older Marshalls sound great but they don't sound good unless cranked.  They are also so damn loud, and with the older ones, there are a lot of modded lousy sounding amps.  I think I mentioned here that I got a Randall MTS and have been using the Plexi and SL+ modules; they cover about 99% of the best Marshall tones, and at lower volumes.  There's lots of alternatives out there for Marshall sounding amps.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.
Dinosaur David B
Administrator
Tyrannosaurus

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 11:40:12 AM

The signature thing about his tone on the first album is the cocked wah thing. He doesn't really ride like Schenker though. Just kind of leaves it in one place. It's almost kazoo like on the leads. Very distinctive.

It's not a shortcut if you drive it like a pussy.
Legacy
Raptor

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 02:10:09 PM

I love his lead tone on Heading for a Storm, kind of reminds me of Van Halen with the clicky pick attack and the palm muting, there's a lot of character in his playing. I usually just fast-forward to the solos on that album, the rhythm tone could be a bit bigger but it's pretty distinctive.

I'm the dandy highwayman who you're too scared to mention
I spend my cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: